There are basically two types of VR headsets, the fully pledged ones that require a computer for operation and the VR headsets that require special type of Smartphones.
The Google daydream VR falls on the second category that requires special type of Smartphones.
Unlike the Google cardboard that supports any type of Smartphone, the Google day dream VR supports only the Google pixel.
But just like the saying goes ‘ nothing in this life is impossible.
There is actually a way out in this case, every body that desires to enjoy the Google daydream experience can without the Google pixel, provided your Smartphone meets the below requirements.
1. Bluetooth 4.2 LE
2. Your smartphone Display should range between between 4.7 and 6 inches
3. Resolution at least 1080p @ 60Hz display with 3ms or less latency and 5ms or less persistence. (Quad HD or higher recommended.)
4. OpenGL ES 3.2 and Vulkan
5. Your smartphone should Able to decode 2 instances of 60fps video simultaneously.
6. Your smartphone should support Consistent 60fps rendering
7. Your smartphone should feature Temperature sensors capable of reading device surface temperature.
8. Your smartphone must be running Android 7.0 or higher for this to work. DO NOT attempt if your phone is not running this version.
9. You must have root access enabled on your phone for this to work.
10. Locate and install the latest version of Google’s Daydream app and Google VR Services to install on your smartphone.
11. Install a Root Explorer app from the Google Play Store.
1. Locate /system/etc/permissions/handheld_core_hardware.xml in your system, and select Edit.
4. Launch Daydream and place your phone.
This procedure basically forces Daydream apps to run on your smartphone by enabling the codes those apps check for in order to determine if your phone is approved by Google.
By following this procedure you will be installing the parts Google enables on a Daydream Ready phone, which includes editing software in your phone that controls permissions.
While these methods can allow your phone to run Daydream, it’s important to remember that the experience you will get is not the same you get from a Daydream compatible phone.
You’re essentially changing aspects of your smartphone in order to pretend to be Daydream compatible and it mean your experience is going to be more prone to lag, or other similar issues unless you are praying for a miracle to occur.
Lexicop.com is not responsible for any damage this procedure might cause your smartphone.